Welcome to MontanaFreeFile.org!
Looking for a better experience when you file your tax return this year? Let MontanaFreeFile.org help! This website is dedicated to helping you learn where to receive free tax assistance and how to get your refund faster by filing online.
What to Bring to Your Appointment
For fast and accurate service, please bring the following items to have your taxes completed:
- Valid picture identification
- Completed Intake/Interview Sheet
- Social security cards for you, your spouse, and all dependents
- All tax forms received, including W-2s, 1099s, 1098s & 1095s
- December credit union and/or bank statements
- Information about any other income you may have received during the year
- Last year's tax return
- Checking and/or savings routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- For MT taxpayers over the age of 62: property tax receipts or rent receipt
Documentation for the following deductible items:
- Unreimbursed medical and dental expenses
- Charitable contributions
- Amounts paid for property taxes
- Tax return preparation fees
- Mortgage interest paid
- Real estate tax paid
- Student loan interest paid
- Amounts paid for you, your spouse, or dependents for higher education during the year. Please note, the American Opportunity Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit, and tuition and fees deduction will not be allowed unless the student receives a Form 1098-T from an eligible educational institution.
- Any amounts paid for child and dependent care expenses along with the provider's name, address, and tax identification number