Skip to content
Louisiana Law Help
powered by

Many free tax filing options are available. Which one is the best for you depends on your income, age, and where you live. It also depends on whether you want to prepare and file your tax return yourself, or if you would like someone to prepare and file it for you.

Would you like someone to prepare your return for you?

You may be eligible for assistance at a VITA, TCE or AARP Tax-Aide Site.

  • Volunteer Income Tax Assitance (VITA) is an IRS program that offers free tax preparation services to eligible taxpayers. Who Qualifies to Use Services at VITA Sites: Anyone with a household income of $54,000 per year or less and a fairly straightforward tax return.
  • Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) is an IRS program that offers free tax help for all taxpayers, particularly those who are 60 years of age and older, specializing in questions about pensions and retirement-related issues unique to seniors.
  • AARP Tax-Aide Montana is a partnership with the IRS and AARP that offers free tax preparation to low- and moderate-income people, with preference to taxpayers age 60 and older. You may call (888) 687-2277 or visit the AARP Tax-Aide website for more information.

To find a VITA, TCE or AARP Tax-Aide site near you, visit the Free Tax Site Listing section on the homepage. Sites are run by trained volunteers and are located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, credit unions, and many other locations. Those with complex tax returns may NOT be eligible for assistance at a VITA, TCE or AARP Tax-Aide site.

Would you like to prepare your own tax return?

If so, the options below are available to you.

  • If you made $56,000 or  less during the last year, you can file your federal and state taxes online for free with MyFreeTaxes, as well as find useful tax-related tools and information. All you need to get started is an email address, your last year's tax return, and your 2018 tax forms. For assistance with, call 1-855-698-9435.

  • IRS Free File allows on-line federal income tax preparation and e-filing through a partnership agreement between the IRS and members of the tax software industry. Some vendors also offer free state tax filing services as well.

  • The Montana Department of Revenue offers free electronic filing options for taxpayers. These options include the Montana Form 2EZ (short form) and Form 2 (long form), as well as Form 2EC (elderly homeowner/renter credit). All of these services are free, secure and user friendly. If you choose to e-File and use direct deposit, you may get your refund faster. *Please note that these free filing options are for Montana tax returns only and you may still have a federal filing obligation.

Helpful Tips for Preparing Your Own Return Online:

  • If you do not have access to a computer or the Internet, visit one of the free Internet locations across the state. Check out the list here.

  • If you choose to file your own tax return using one of the websites listed above, make a note of which site you use and any log-in information you create. staff cannot access any tax returns or login information from the above websites. You will need to contact the website you use to prepare your return if you have questions/difficulties with your tax return.

Questions? Call 1-800-666-6899 is brought to you by: Montana Department of Revenue, Montana Legal Services Association, Rural Dynamics, and AARP Tax-Aide Montana.

Skip to content