Welcome to MontanaFreeFile.org!
Looking for a better experience when you file your tax return this year? Let MontanaFreeFile.org help! This website is dedicated to helping you learn where to receive free tax assistance and how to get your refund faster by filing online.
Volunteer to use your talents to help fellow Montanans in your community file their taxes free of charge and claim overlooked credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
There are many opportunities to volunteer at a local tax site. You need not be a tax expert - just a willingness and interest to learn. If you have been looking for a meaningful way to give back to your community - look no further!
Here are the four steps to start volunteering in your community:
1. Find a tax site near you.
2. Consider how you would like to help by choosing one of these volunteer jobs:
- Tax Preparer: Gain tax knowledge and help members of your community with their basic tax returns. Tax training provided.
- Greeter and Intake Specialist: Help welcome clients and assist them with filing out basic forms for tax preparer's use.
- Quality Reviewer: Check over the tax preparer's completed tax returns for any errors and questions.
- Volunteer Trainer: For experienced tax preparers. Help train volunteers in basic tax law and preparation.
- Technology Support: Help tax site volunteers with computer and technology issues.
- AARP Leadership Positions: Coordinate programs, volunteers, and technical assistance at local, state, and regional level. Tax certification encouraged but not required.
3. Contact us and tell us how you want to become involved.
- To volunteer at an AARP site, complete an AARP Tax-Aide Volunteer Interest Form on the AARP website. You will be contacted by a Tax-Aide representative in your area.
- To volunteer at a VITA site, complete this form. You will be contacted by a VITA site representative soon.
4. Pick how you would like to receive tax training.
- Train independently online with the IRS-Link & Learn.
- Attend one of the many classroom trainings offered throughout the state.
Many volunteers choose a combination of options that works best for them and fits their schedule.
For tax training schedules, visit the Volunteer Tax Training page.